Monday, November 2, 2009

20091102 – Why do children play with cow dung (=cow shit)?

In various villages, I have seen children ´play´ with cow dung. For non-native speakers: ´dung´ means ´shit´. Needless to say, this surprised me. Today, it was explained to me.












First of all, a cow is a holy creature in Hinduism and therefore no part of the cow is considered unclean (including cow dung). Furthermore, it has been scientifically proven that cow dung can be used as an antiseptic. In other words: contrary to our (western) perception, here playing with cow dung is not considered filthy at all.

Cow dung is a very important product in these rural communities as it serves various purposes in village houses:
1.) After cow dung dried in the sun, it can be used as firewood (to cook);
2.) Cow dung is a component used to create biogas;
3.) Cow dung can be used for flooring.

Next time when I see a child play with cow dung I will try to look at it from this new perspective…


P.S.
While we are at it: I also learned today that people spray cow urine on the walls of their new house before settling in there for good luck (sort of consecration)…

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for providing me with this great positive view on stuff that comes out of the ass of a cow. Changed my life, for ever.

    ReplyDelete